Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Sundance

16x20 Oil

Have you ever been walking at sundown in a very private place where you felt safe and at peace? This is one of my favorites that I share with special friends who share my delight of horseback riding.

Horses are noble, quiet creatures -- their foot falls are rhythmic and solid. This afternoon embraced a quiet gentle light after a storm. The shadows were warm and soft -- the light played serenely as the shadows of wet black trunks were strong and secure.

I painted from memory. I utilized the texture of the rich warm oil paint to give the image texture and atmosphere. The trees were black but using black oil would have caused them to be like black coal on my canvas. NO!! I chose ultramaraine blue and burnt sienna for thier solid trunks. Red, yellow, and blue being mixed creates the absence of all color. I tuned them toward the cool blue black in contrast to the warmth of the atomsphere and hazy mists that surrounds the tangle of fall under-growth and our rider. A PERFECT SETTING!!!

To purchase glicee prints, click on the title above.

No comments:

Post a Comment